Extreme Summer Weather Safety Tips: Memphis and Southaven
So, what are you doing this summer to stay active and enjoy the great outdoors? Enjoying your backyard pool? Headed for your favorite beach resort along the Gulf? Taking in your son’s or daughter’s summer ball games?
Whatever your summer consists of, it’s always a good idea to keep one eye on the weather channel, especially before venturing out into the great unknown, so to speak. To help you along, we’ve compiled some timely and common sense summer safety precautions sure to come in handy:
- Implement and Practice a Home Safety Plan. – The Memphis is no stranger to severe weather and power outages. So formulate your own safety and evacuation plan, and practice it with your family so everyone knows exactly what they’re supposed to do.
- Prepare for the Worst. – Make sure you an ample supply of first aid products within easy reach, even should the lights go out. Speaking of which, now’s also the time to stock up on flashlights and batteries – it never hurts to have extras. Also, the outfit you’re your home with at least a two-day supply of bottled water and non-perishable food items.
- Stay Cool and Comfortable – To the extent that you can control your daily schedule on hot and sticky days, save anything that might risk heat stroke for the early morning or evening hours. Keep hydrated, too, with extra water around to replenish your intake.
- Seek Shelter – Outdoors is no place to be when even the hint of an electrical storm is on the horizon. Don’t guess – head indoors and stay there until officials declare the “coast all clear”.
- Swim with a Buddy – Even adults should always swim with a buddy or at least let another adult know you’re going in for a swim so they can keep an eye on you. Especially if you have an affinity for deep water.
- Check the Air Quality – Even though indoor air quality, on average, is twice as bad as the day outdoors, it’s still a good idea to check the air quality index before heading outdoors. If you’ve ever struggled with asthma, allergies, or some other respiratory ailment, you know exactly what we’re talking about.
Speaking of indoor air quality, what’s it like inside your home? If you can’t seem to get the right amount of relief, then it’s probably time for you to explore various ways to improve your indoor air quality. At Conway Services, we offer several different options and we’d be happy discuss the relative merits of each with you, all toward the goal of developing the right indoor air quality solution for your specific needs. Call us today for all the details.