Home Improvement Tips for the New Year in Memphis and Colliersville
The holiday season is officially over and a new year has begun. And that means it’s time to put away the wrapping paper and boxes, pack up the decorations, and perhaps return a less-than-perfect (though thoughtful) gift or two.
The start of a new year is also a great time to breathe a little life into your home and take care of some of those projects that might have be on the back burner, with some of them already collecting a little dust from being unattended to for so long.
To help you get your groove back, here are 5 New Year’s resolutions to turn your home into a lean, mean, energy (and money) -saving machine.
- Start a budget. Stylish contemporary or a lovingly restored colonial, the truth is every home needs a little maintenance now and then. But finding the money for those projects can often be easier said than done. A home improvement savings account can help take the financial sting out of unexpected home repairs.
- Drop some excess expense by reducing your energy consumption. Whether it’s swapping out the light bulbs in your home for energy-efficient LEDs, or investing in new Energy Star rated appliances, lowering your energy usage not only reduces your carbon footprint but puts some of your hard-earned money back in your pocket.
- Get healthier with cleaner indoor air. The EPA estimates that indoor air can be 2 to 5 times more polluted than outdoor air. You can breathe a little easier by choosing more natural household cleaning products, using low VOC paints, and maintaining your home’s HVAC system, starting with cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every 30 days.
- Develop some time and/or skill for DIY improvements. The cost of calling in a pro for everything that needs fixing can add up pretty quickly, but learning how to do simple home repairs can save you a pretty penny, not to mention earn you bragging rights.
- Simplify your life and your home. It’s amazing how quickly “stuff” multiplies. Before you know it, you’re staring at a packed closet, office, or basement, trying to remember what the floor looked like. So this year, tackle one small organizational project a week. Start with the files on your desk, the stack of mail on the counter, or the contents of your car. And pledge to maintain the new and improved “slimline” look you’ve created.
If you’ve also resolved to cut your home heating costs, and cleaning or replacing your filter doesn’t seem to be getting it done, then it’s probably time to have your system professionally cleaned and inspected by the home heating pros at Conway. It’s a service we recommend once a year to keep your system in top working order which, in turn, translates into reduced energy consumption. Plus, through ongoing professional maintenance, we can definitely help minimize your furnace or repair costs if not do away with them entirely.
Contact Conway Services today to request your heating system clean and check, especially if it’s been a year or more since service was last provided.