We all know there’s a day, week or month for just about anything and everything, which is really too bad, because sometimes the really important ones don’t get readily noticed.
Well, in addition to National Celery Month, On-Hold Month, and Play the Recorder Month, March also happens to be National Brain Injury Awareness Month. Now there’s an event worth talking about.
For starters, 1.4 million traumatic brain injuries occur in the US every year, and nearly 2% of the US population already has a life-changing brain injury that requires long-term care. Conway Services
Where do a lot of these injuries occur? No further away than your bathroom, and principally among seniors and children under 15 years of age. As such, we urge you to take every precaution to help prevent slips and falls not just in the bathroom, but everywhere else inside and around your home.
Here are some suggested bathroom upgrades that really work:
- High-seat toilets so seniors or anyone who needs assistance doesn’t have a far to lower themselves or stand back up.
- Grab bars in and around the tub or shower, and also near the toilet.
- Hand-held showerhead to help prevent reaching and constant turning around.
- The anti-scald shower or sink valve to prevent the kinds of slips and falls that stem from a sudden blast of scalding hot water.
- Non-slip flooring, such as textured linoleum, carpet, stone tiles, vinyl, cork, bamboo, and even rubber.
- An anti-slip spray for your existing floor.
- Motion-activated night lights to prevent anyone from falling in the dark.
- A simple rubber mat for the shower or tub floor.
Also, be sure to wipe down the shower and bathroom floor after each use to help prevent others from falling who might be using the bathroom soon thereafter.
If you’d like assistance in turning one or more of your bathrooms into an accident-free zone, contact the plumbing professionals at Conway Services today.